Airs and Graces: Types of Contact

Social interactions are interesting. At reunions, people act one of three ways.

1. Speak when spoken to.
2. Act themselves.
3. Put up a glass exterior, filled wit politeness and distance.

I would say that I fit in the first of the three, only speaking when someone else enquires, and even then, mostly about them and never about me.
I wonder which of the routes is the best philosophy for life; to be true to yourself or to use a facade. There are times when I've seen both used successfully, but they balance the scales equally in my mind. I hesitate to choose a victor.

This entry comes after a family dinner, but after a week of contemplating on my distinct lack of social graces. I need to focus on honing my social skills, plain and simple. At one point I was on top of it all, but now I feel my skills have dwindled away..

I just wish I knew where to begin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind with your criticisms.